What is employee scheduling software?
Employee scheduling software helps small businesses stay organized and manage personnel work schedules efficiently and accurately.
- No more time consuming manual scheduling
- "Leave" information can be stored to ensure that employees aren't scheduled to work while they're on vacation
- Create customizable templates so users don't have to start from scratch every time they create a new schedule
- Efficiently manage shift changes
- During unexpected absences, managers are notified of available team members
- Mobile functionality that lets managers manage this process on the go.
In addition, these solutions let employees view their schedules, as well as an overall team schedule, in real time, and make changes via a scheduling interface.
the Benefits of an Employee scheduling Program
- Improve employee accountability
- Flexible setup for shifts and scheduling parameters
- Access to shift templates for recurring schedules
- Fast, easy approval process for shift swapping
- Keep employees informed when schedules go "live"
- Faster than manual scheduling
- Manages shift changes efficiently
- Tracks overtime hours for Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
typical features of employee scheduling software
- Calendar Management: Populate employee calendars based on their schedules. Calendars are updated in real-time to reflect schedule changes.
- Employee Database: Record employee information such as demographics, availability, and role within an organizational hierarchy.
- Shift Swapping Requests: Manage shift swapping requests based on employee availability.
- Time Clock: Record employee in-time and out-time. This information is used to calculate wages based on the number of hours worked and overtime.
- Vacation/Leave Tracking: Track employee leave requests and vacation periods.
- Schedule Permission Rules: Set rules for who is able to be assigned to a particular shift.
- Determine Shift Eligibility: Outline who is eligible for a shift.
- Employee Unavailability: At-a-glance details of which employees are unavailable to work.
- Scheduler Alert View: Instant alerts generated and visible when schedules are created and pushed live.
- Maintain draft status of added or edited shifts: Keep shifts in draft form as managers and supervisors edit schedules.
- Large Group Scheduling - quickly schedule employees as large groups or an entire organization. AAP's Workforce Scheduling addresses even more complex requirements and allows you to:
- Set customizable values for how employees are counted per shift—number of work hours, occupancy percentage, number of beds
- Build staffing rules around employee count types and number needed per day
- Quickly add employees to shifts from a graphical scheduler view
- Assign employees directly to a shift versus a larger role
- Send notifications to employees who are eligible to fill open shifts
- Predict staffing requirements across employee groups and time periods
when to purchase employee scheduling software
- Reporting and analytics: Employee scheduling programs help managers optimize their scheduling process. These systems provide reports that can help small businesses frame their employee management strategies. For example, reports on shift durations can help reduce overtime by letting managers efficiently track employee workload in real time. Workload reports also help management make hiring decisions.
- Mobile access: Due to an increasing workforce mobilization trend among small businesses, mobile apps are becoming an essential part of business operations. This trend is driving demand for mobile applications in employee scheduling software. Both employees and managers benefit from the use of such apps. As an example, employees can notify managers if they are unavailable, letting managers make schedule adjustments as soon as possible. Apps also let employees view their schedules while working remotely. Businesses with a mobile workforce or plans to develop one should look for products that offer mobile app functionality.
Effective scheduling is vital to an organization’s success. Incorporating a solution that keeps your business running smoothly does not just impact your bottom line—it impacts your people.
Make work life easier for your employees, and it can pay off across every operational function. Allow AAP to tailor a scheduling software tool to fit your business' needs. Quickly categorize employees, set schedules, communicate shift shortages and requirements, and predict future workforce needs—all within one scheduling software.
Contact AAP for more information on scheduling software features that would work best for your organization.
Sources- Top 5 Tech Trends for Small Businesses, Capterra (Date accessed: August 24, 2018)
- Understanding The Shift to a Mobile Workforce, American Express (Date accessed: August 24, 2018)
Automated Time Saves Time
With comprehensive automated time solutions, you can choose the data collection method that works...
Work Today, Get Paid Today with ZayZoon
With earned wage access, everyday can be payday. It's a benefit employers can offer employees that...
AAP's Onboarding Solution for e-Restaurant